Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Sunday 10 November 2013

Writing letters

I have always been a big believer in the power of words. Some people don't think that words are all that useful in capturing exactly how a person is feeling at one moment but I really do. So for my graduation gifts -you know, the ones students give teachers at the end of high school to say thanks and don't miss me- I've decided to write people letters. Not just teachers either, friends and random people who've helped me so far. I am writing them all by hand and then folding them up into little envelopes like this. Consider me a postal service.

In year 9, I wrote my friend a short story about how we first met and why I respected her so much and thereafter all my friends wanted their own story for their birthdays too. Not only are stories or even memories hard work to put on paper, I sometimes felt as if I'm giving bits of myself away and opening myself for judgement. What if these feelings were one sided? Does the other person even remember it? I figure that since I'm leaving and may never them again, I will go for broke.



So far I have maybe 6 letters with many more to come. There are a couple for my subject teachers, friends, fellow captains and some people who have just had a perhaps accidental impact on my life. An example of this accidental impact is my year 10 English teacher who introduced me to Atticus Finch. Another is a particular librarian to whom I recommended a book and received it new, uncovered and fresh from a bookstore the very next day. I was first to read it. Another to whom I will write is my principal who I have a strangely friendly relationship with. Another to a teacher who always teased me about my hair until I teased him back. It is odd to think I am leaving these people for good. I hope that if they've forgotten what I'm talking about, they'll try to remember.

John Green quoting his wife wrote, "Thinking about the future is a kind of nostalgia." 

To this I say, "Exactly."

Let me know if you've ever written a letter to someone that you've regretted or what you gave for graduation gifts. Ciao.


5 comments:

  1. Well I certainly value the power of words, and the letter I received from you is so very appreciated. Teachers always hope to inspire their students and I know that personally I am driven by passion for learning, so to have a student write a note of appreciation regarding that is so rewarding. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. I know it must be difficult dealing with crazy teenage girls all day and at the end you definitely should get a pat on the back... before next year and you do it all again. Thank you for commenting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by to check out your blog, Yanery. I don't know what else to say. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Becky, I appreciate it. Merry Christmas!

      Delete